Sponsored links

Search in my blog

Custom Search

Monday, February 17, 2014

Phalaenopsis (kingidium) chibae, repotting to be fixed





Young chibae Phalaenopsis orchid (kingidium), botanical species, photo and description of the plant and repotting.
Phalaenopsis (ex kingidium) chibae, orchid botanical species,
growing in pot into the mini orchidarium 2
(picture of 14 December 2012)

This lovely Phalaenopsis chibae came from an auction on ebay at the end of August, the photos that were on the ad showed a fair amount of healthy roots outside the substrate so it tempted me so much...


Phalaenopsis (ex kingidium) chibae,
orchid botanical species,
just bought on Ebay
(photo of 4 September 2012)

Phalaenopsis (kingidium) chibae, apparato radicale danneggiato da malattia fungina forse fungo Phytophthora
Phalaenopsis (ex kingidium) chibae,
orchid botanical species,
out of pot, roots at delivery time,
fungal disease, probably Phytophthora
(photo of 4 September 2012)
Once she got home I could check the pot, bark was very deteriorated and compact, the poor Phal did not seem happy, so I pulled it out.

What I found inside the jar was yet another disaster!

The roots were all seriously affected by a fungal disease (Phytophthora suspicion or Pytium) and rotting even though the compound was completely dry.


I immediately cut all the roots that did not convince me using scissors sterilized with the lighter then I put the orchid in soaking for 2 hours in water and systemic fungicides (Azoxystrobin 23.2%, dose 1ml per liter of water + fosetyl-Al 746g/kg dose 5mg per liter of water, this mixture with these doses was recommended to me by one of the owners of the nursery specializing in orchids Orchids & More, they use it in the greenhouses).

After the bath I put it upside down to dry overnight, you should leave the plant upside down to prevent water stagnation in the leaf axils becouse they can cause rot, in addition to that the dry house-air on the roots facilitates drying of any breakages and cuts.


Sono sempre le radici che scelgono il vaso...
The remaining roots of my Phal chibae were too few for the original pot so I chose a smaller one, 8 cm round, but the roots were not too agree with me! ;-)
Didn't wont to get into it neatly!

Phalaenopsis (kingidium) chibae, orchidea specie botanica, primo rinvaso effettuato, radici non ben sistemate
Phalaenopsis (ex kingidium) chibae,
orchid botanical species,
first repotting,
some roots are out of the substrate

In the end, I absolutely didn't want to risk of breaking any of the survived roots, so I did a temporary repotting.
The plant has remained crooked and with quite a bit of roots out of the bark but I have not broken any and orchid has found a nice little warm place in the mini orchid nursery 2.

Phalaenopsis (ex kingidium) chibae,
orchid botanical species,
out of pot again, growing roots
(photo of 6 December 2012)
Now it's been two months since this new Phalaenopsis chibae has been added to my collection and for me it was a source of great satisfaction!

He decided he did not like the old leaves more so has dried out them to grow a new leaf that was just a beginning on his arrival.
Even the roots have shown signs of recovery in growth and I could no longer endure the precarious position of that orchid in the pot, so I pulled it out again.
I took the opportunity to check the status of the roots and I'm very happy, they look good and continue to have the green tips, sign that growth continues!

I chose to repot into a compound similar to the one it had, to avoid too much stress on it , so I prepared the mix of bark and moss and I adjusted well all the roots in the jar, and finally the plant does not seem to fall at any time.


Phalaenopsis (ex kingidium) chibae,
orchid botanical species,
repotting in bark and sphagnum moos
(photo of 6 December 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment